Benefits & Allowances

We can provide:

  • Advice on which benefits you are eligible for and how to apply for them
  • Help with form filling
  • Help to challenge decisions

If you need further help to fill in a form ot to discuss any matter over the telephone in confidence or you would like to make an appointment to see us in person please ring us on 01394 387070: Monday to Thursday, 10:00am to 3:00pm or contact us through the website.

On this page…

  • Appealing a DWP decision
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Care After Discharge From Hospital
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Pension Credit
  • Personal Independence Payments (PIPs)
  • Speech and Communication Problems
  • Universal Credit
  • Victims of Crime Compensation

Appealing a DWP decision

We have a very successful track record of helping clients to win appeals against decisions made against them in tribunals. It is better if we have provided the advice up to the tribunal but we will consider other cases.

For further advice Appeal against a DWP Decision – Guidance on the different ways you can appeal if you disagree with a decision about benefits (DWP), tax credits or child maintenance.

Attendance Allowance

Go online for information on Attendance Allowance on or phone:

Attendance Allowance helpline

Telephone: 0345 605 6055
Textphone: 0345 604 5312
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges (link to

Attendance Allowance – Guidance on eligibility for this tax-free benefit for people over 65 who need someone to help look after them because they are physically or mentally disabled.

Constant Attendance Allowance – Guidance on this entitlement for people who need constant care through an injury or disease. This can only be paid if the person being looked after is also claiming either industrial injuries disablement benefit or a war disablement pension.

Care After Discharge From Hospital

Support and care services you may need even if you are medically well enough to be discharged.

Disability Living Allowance

The Disability Living Allowance was replaced by Personal Independence Payments (PIP) for anyone aged 16-64.

Existing claimants aged 16-64

New claimants under 16

Disability Living Allowance
Telephone: 0345 712 3456
Textphone: 0345 722 4433
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges (link to

Income Support

You may be able to get Income Support if you meet all the specific conditions including:

  • you and your partner have no income or a low income
  • you’re working less than 16 hours a week
  • you haven’t signed on as unemployed

The actual amount you get depends on your circumstances.

More information about Income Support

How to claim Income Support

The quickest way to apply for Income Support is by phone.

New benefit claims

Jobcentre Plus— new claims
Telephone: 0800 055 6688
Textphone: 0800 023 4888
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges (link to

Find out about other ways to claim on Income Support How to Claim on

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit – You may be awarded this benefit through a work accident or by developing an industrial disease.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit is an income-related benefit made up of two parts:

  • Guarantee Credit
  • Savings Credit

More information

Pension Credit claim line
Telephone: 0800 99 1234
Textphone: 0800 169 0133
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

You can also use a paper application if you’re unable to make a claim by phone.

Personal Independence Payments (PIPs)

Go to Personal Independence Payments on for information about Personal Independence Payments.

Or start your claim by phoning free on:
Department for Work and Pensions — Personal Independence Payment claims
Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges (link to

Which allowance might you qualify for?

The information here is a guide about allowances you may be able to claim. This information is to the best of our knowledge correct but can always change. You should never assume that you will receive a benefit or allowance unless this has been confirmed by the DWP or other body responsible for allocating the money.

You must have needed help for at least three months already and be likely to need help for at least another nine months, but if you are terminally ill you can claim straight away.

DWP British Sign Language Guide to Personal Independence Payments


There are a lot more British Sign Language videos from the DWP about PIP on the DWP YouTube Channel.

Further advice is available here: Personal Independence Payment (PIP) – Guidance and here Personal Independence Payment (PIP) – Benefit Rates

Speech and Communication Problems

Organisations, charities and therapists who can assist.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is replacing some other benefits for people on low incomes or out of work:

  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support

Universal Credit is being phased in across the country, but is already in our area, for example in Felixstowe.

How to claim Universal Credit

If you’re already claiming benefit you’ll be told when your benefits are being replaced by Universal Credit. If you’re not already claiming benefit and wish to apply, claim your benefits as usual and you will be told if you will be put onto

More information about Universal Credit

DWP video: What is Universal Credit on YouTube


Universal Credit helpline

Or call the Department for Work and Pensions’ Universal Credit helpline:

Telephone:0345 600 0723
Textphone: 0345 600 0743
Find out about call charges (link to

Victims of Crime Compensation

Victims of Crime Compensation – Guidance on eligibility to receive compensation if you have been physically or mentally injured as the innocent victim of a violent crime.